Title: Café Coordinator
Reports to: Manager, Events and Visitors Programs
Classification: Hourly, full-time (37.5 hours per week)
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
Under the general supervision of the Events Manager, the Café Coordinator is responsible for the day-to-day operations of our foodservice including catered lunches and afternoon tea. Additionally, this position will support a variety of SFI events (up to 10 events a year), including evening receptions, special teas, and special dinners, this position requires a flexible schedule and occasional weekend and evening hours. Additional hours may be required during peak periods.
This position is critical to the daily operations of the institute and does not lend itself to remote work.
- Working with established vendors, orders, sets-up, breaks-down, and oversees daily lunch service (M-F).
- Verifies bills from vendors and submits for payment approval.
- Handles inventory, ordering stocking, and shopping for kitchen supplies, paper supplies, and food for the daily tea.
- Coordinate food shopping with the Mgr., Events and Visitor Programs, and the Events Coordinator at Miller Campus.
- Keeps Kitchen Clean and Tidy.
- Prepares afternoon tea five days each week and special teas with prior arrangements including setting up and takedown of the event
- Promotes a welcoming, inviting environment in all service areas, including making informal introductions as appropriate.
- Assists with special events. Handles miscellaneous tasks, projects, or delegated responsibilities as assigned by the Manager, Events, and Visitor Programs.
EDUCATION/JOB EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Three years of hospitality experience, general office experience, and ordering inventory experience required.
- Proficiency with technology is a must. Data entry skills are necessary. Ability to learn new software packages helpful.
- Self-starter. Excellent organizational skills. Good attention to detail and good judgment. Good oral and written communication skills. Excellent interpersonal relations. Must have tact, diplomacy skills, and enthusiasm. Adaptable and able to work as part of a team.
- Must be able to lift repetitively 20 pounds and occasionally 40 pounds due to lifting and moving boxes and stocking supplies. Must provide personal vehicle and proof of driver’s license and insurance.
To apply, e-mail PDFs of the following: 1) a short statement of interest, 2) your CV, and 3) a list of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note in your subject line that you are responding to the “Cafe Coordinator position for the Santa Fe Institute."
The Santa Fe Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We actively seek and encourage applications from minorities, women, and people with disabilities