Title: Data Associate
Reports to: Vice President for Applied Complexity
Category: Full-Time-Hourly (37.5 hours per week)
Compensation: Commensurate with Experience
The Santa Fe Institute seeks an apprentice database administrator to help maintain data integrity standards across a dynamic organization, and develop data collection and reporting methods to aid Institute operations. The Institute is committed to the mentorship and training of a highly motivated, detail-oriented self-starter who seeks experience with database applications within an established organization. This position reports to the Vice President for Applied Complexity and will be mentored by the Manager for Data Systems. This is a full-time, in-person position. As an employee of the Santa Fe Institute, this position will also afford the successful candidate opportunities to audit a range of talks and seminars related to contemporary complexity science theories and applications.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate an understanding of fundamental concepts in computer programming but is not expected to have prior experience with the Salesforce platform or other CRM databases. The ideal candidate will also enjoy working with others to derive meaning and actionable sights from data, enjoy learning why databases operate the way they do, and commit to earning the Salesforce Certified Administrator credential within one year of hire. The successful candidate will have an opportunity to develop relational database management knowledge and skills on the Salesforce platform. The ideal candidate would be able to spend at least two years in the role. The Santa Fe Institute commits to providing a supportive work community that will provide the candidate with the tools and opportunities to grow into the role and to develop valuable technical skills.
The Data Associate will initially focus on learning Salesforce generally, and on understanding SFI’s Salesforce build specifically. During this period, the Data Associate will work with the Manager for Data Systems to develop a study plan to prepare for the Salesforce Certified Administrator exam. This learning effort will coincide with tasks oriented around (i) running basic queries for analysis, (ii) verifying data accuracy, and (iii) entering data (limited). Related systems this individual will be trained on may include: Form Assembly / MailChimp / Stripe / Financial Edge NXT.
As the Associate’s skills progress, additional time will be spent on the following tasks:
• Supporting new and experienced users to grow Salesforce skillsets across the organization and communicate data quality standards. Train users in new and established Salesforce practices. Provide on-call troubleshooting and support for Salesforce users across the Institute
• Help to design and implement new procedures and technical processes that enable SFI staff across all departments to better use Salesforce and enter data accurately. Document development requirements as defined by platform users
• Help with the continued development of SFI’s data management system. This responsibility should grow over time, along with the data associate’s skill.
• Monitoring email deliverability across Salesforce and Mailchimp to ensure continued communication of SFI events to external parties
• Monitor general data integrity within the organization’s Salesforce database and assist in ensuring the security of data stored in SFI’s the software-as-service components of SFI’s data management system
• Lead data entry efforts for the Office of Applied Complexity, particularly as they pertain to maintaining up-to-date contact lists, recording event attendance, and ensuring that data is written across software services, such as between Salesforce and Mailchimp
• Be flexible to support the goals and activities of the Office of Applied Complexity as required by the Vice President for Applied Complexity. Assist in the preparation for and execution of Applied Complexity event. Help with other technology-related tasks as required.
This is a full-time, in-person position, with an expected in-person start date of July 6, but a successful candidate may begin working remotely prior to that date. This is not a remote position.
How to Apply
To apply, e-mail PDFs of the following: 1) a short statement of interest, 2) your CV, and 3) a list of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note in your subject line that you are responding to the “Data Associate position for the Santa Fe Institute"
We will begin reviewing applications on Monday, May 17, but will continue to accept applications until the position is filled.
The Santa Fe Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We actively seek and encourage applications from minorities, women, and people with disabilities