JOB TITLE: Portal Web Developer
REPORTS TO: Vice President for Applied Complexity
CLASSIFICATION: Full Time – Exempt (37.5 Hours per week)
SALARY: Commensurate with experience
This position will serve as a key developer for SFI’s new online portal project. The Santa Fe Institute (SFI) is a legendary non-profit research institute dedicated to the development of complex systems science. The portal project is an exciting new effort to expand deep engagement stemming from the ongoing scientific discussions taking place at SFI. This project is highly experimental, and the Portal Web Developer will have opportunities to make creative contributions to a project on the frontier of internet-mediated scientific discussion. The Portal Web Developer will report to SFI’s Vice President for Applied Complexity, who oversees the portal project. The Portal Web Developer will also take day-to-day guidance from SFI’s Webmaster, who directs the portal’s development and integration with SFI’s existing web-based systems. In addition to implementing new features in the portal, the Portal Web Developer will be expected to help out with day to day maintenance of the SFI website. This is an in-person position, located on SFI’s Miller Campus – a beautiful 36-acre campus on the edge of Santa Fe with miles of private hiking trails.
The Office of Applied Complexity is an extremely dynamic and responsive team. The core “job description” is to spend 37.5 hours per week enthusiastically deploying web-based technologies to support Applied Complexity’s mission to foster valuable connections between (and among) SFI science/scientists -and- decision-makers / practitioners/donors. The following lists represent the expected responsibilities given the current state of the world. As the external world and SFI’s internal environment continue to change, so too will the responsibilities and tasks associated with this position.
- Learn the structure and philosophy guiding SFI’s entire website
- Brainstorm technical implementations for new Portal functionality
- Under the direction of SFI’s Webmaster, execute and implement new functionalities in the portal
- As a member of the portal team, brainstorm and rank potential new functionalities and designs for the portal
- Assist in the formatting and insertion of content (both new and archival) into the portal
- Building simple new pages and expanding established features across the SFI website, as requested
- Investigating small bugs across the SFI website, as requested
- Adding buttons, changing menus, and other smaller front-end changes across the SFI website, as requested
- Improving CMS functionality for staff members across the SFI website, as requested
- Testing of comprehensive features across the SFI website, as requested
- Supporting the use of other web-based technologies (Zoom, Salesforce, etc.) particularly during the lead-up to and execution of virtual meetings. (This will be particularly important during virtual and hybrid meetings
- Excellent computer skills in general
- Outstanding communication skills, ability to help staff members who are not tech-savvy.
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Basic understanding of database structure
- Attention to detail and design
- Ability to pivot projects and direction when needed
NOTE: This is an in-person position in Santa Fe, NM, with standard hours Monday through Friday. Occasional work during evenings and weekends will be required.
To apply, e-mail PDFs of the following: 1) a short statement of interest, 2) your CV, and 3) a list of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note in your subject line that you are responding to the “Applied Complexity Office Portal Web Developer position for the Santa Fe Institute.
The Santa Fe Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We actively seek and encourage applications from minorities, women, and people with disabilities