Title: Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
Status: Full time, exempt
Location: Santa Fe, NM (relocation support provided)
Reports to: SFI President
Industry: Non-profit scientific research institute
SFI seeks an experienced and energized CFO to oversee general accounting and financial functions of the Institute and to act as a strategic advisor to the President and key member of the executive team. The CFO must be an exceptionally strong communicator comfortable being both a support for the finance and accounting team and internal advocate, as well as the financial “face of the organization” in conversations with the Board of Trustees and external stakeholders. This is a leadership position in a mission-critical function that is very hands-on and involved in the day-to-day. The right person for this role will be diplomatic and measured in their execution of the job.
The CFO keeps up to date, detailed quantitative information on financial expenditures and revenues across key research and administrative units, gathers and presents data and visualization on investment portfolios and internal budget expenditures, and works with advancement, sponsored research, and program management to generate financial reports for federal agencies, private foundations, and individuals. The CFO also manages and coordinates annual independent audits and annual IRS Form 990 submissions, and works with the Board of Trustees to communicate clearly and lucidly the state of finances, helping to maintain financial stability of the organization. This role reports directly to the President and supervises accounting staff.
- Oversees the work of the Finance and Accounting team, composed of the Controller (direct report) and three full-time accounting staff (indirect reports).
- Works closely with the President and Finance Committee of the Board on preparation, review, and coordination of the Institute’s financial statements, reports, and filings.
- Oversees budget matters and advises the President.
- Serves as the primary liaison to external audit and investment groups.
- Works with the Sponsored Research Office on reporting, planning and budgeting of federal and foundation contracts and grants.
- Prepares and submits federal indirect cost rate proposal and handles negotiation on annual or bi-annual basis as appropriate.
- Evaluates and monitors all banking and investment activities including managing relations with financial institutions, liquidity, day-to-day operations, and cash flow needs.
- Establishes strong relationships and coordination with and between Institute personnel.
- Serves as key advisor on the acquisition and sale of Institute assets.
- Reports for federal, state, and private contributions.
- Remains informed and educated on non-profit best practices, audit best practices, state and federal law pertaining to non-profit operations.
- Ensures SFI finance policies and procedures are updated to reflect federal regulations.
- Generates regular, clear, and concise reports to guide decision-making in Institute budge-related activities.
- Education and certification minimum of B.A. in business or accounting and designation as a CPA (required)
- Mandatory 8-10 years of accounting experience with at least three years in a supervisory position within a university or top-tier not-for-profit research organization
- Detailed knowledge of standard governmental and non-profit accounting principles, institutional budget preparation, and accounting systems (experience with Blackbaud is preferred)
- Experience managing the financial portion of federal and private foundation grants and philanthropic gifts
- Familiarity with the latest financial and accounting platforms and softwares; ability to learn new systems as needed
- Experience running a lean, highly efficient finance and accounting team
- Facilitative management style and rigorous attention to detail
- Clear and competent communication skills (see overview for the desired style)
The Santa Fe Institute is an equal opportunity employer, and women, veterans, and minorities are especially encouraged to apply.
SFI is a vaccinated community; to be employed by SFI and on-site you must provide proof of primary vaccination.