Title: Education Program Assistant
Reports to: Education Program Manager
Status: Part-Time Hourly (20 hours per week)
Location: On-site (not remote)
Are you excited about transformative science education? Do you want to support the next generation of complexity scientists? We invite you to join our highly collaborative Education team at the Santa Fe Institute as the Education Program Assistant. In this role, you will support our fantastic community of students and early-career researchers during their educational experiences with SFI, and you will help us engage with our alumni throughout their careers. The Education Program Assistant plays a central role in promoting the value of SFI’s educational programs both within the institute community and beyond.
The Education Program Assistant plays an essential role in enhancing the development, evaluation, and administration of SFI’s education programs, including our in-person schools, workshops, and courses as well as our online learning platform ComplexityExplorer.org. Under the direction and guidance of the Education Program Manager, the Education Program Assistant will be responsible for completing daily operational and administrative tasks, maintaining accurate and up-to-date program records, tracking programmatic and alumni outcomes, and fostering alumni engagement. The Education Program Assistant will coordinate with other SFI staff and external partners to arrange program logistics and visitor services.
During our in-person summer programs, roughly June through August, the Education Program Assistant will be an integral part of each program’s organizational team, continuing to provide logistics and support for our program participants and instructional teams.
A high school diploma is required. Exceptional organizational skills; willingness to adapt to a changing schedule of daily tasks. Superior attention to detail, especially with quantitative/numerical data. Strong verbal and written English communication skills. High level of comfort with computers, web searches, and website navigation; adaptability to learn new software or systems. Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (Word and Excel) is necessary. Familiarity with Google applications, file-sharing systems such as Box or Dropbox, Html, and Salesforce is desirable. Successful applicants will have a demonstrated ability to work with young adults in a respectful and supportive manner, a record of success working with diverse groups of people, and an eagerness to welcome international visitors. Knowledge of amenities and resources in the Santa Fe area is a plus. Familiarity with academic and/or the scientific research environments would be an asset but is not essential. In the summer months, a valid driver’s license and car, with proof of insurance, are essential.
- Program and alumni outcomes: curating ongoing course evaluation data; assisting with course surveys; tracking of alumni’s education and career outcomes, including research, mentoring, and educational efforts and products; monitoring subsequent SFI associations (in coordination with SFI Research and Postdoctoral Program).
- Program record-keeping and archiving: include financial expenditures and revenue, letters of agreement, participant data, course products, instructor data, course schedules and syllabi/curricula, and other information as determined by the Education team.
- Operational and administrative tasks: ensure formal agreement documentation is completed and available to necessary SFI staff; process invoices and honoraria for payment; reconcile Education team expense accounts; assist with external communications, including updating and maintaining course wikis; identify and address problems or technical bugs with online resources; monitor and engage with social media channels (in coordination with SFI Communications).
- Program logistics and visitor services: assist with scheduling on- and off-site classrooms or workshop venues, food services, transportation shuttles, social activities, accommodations for course participants and instructors; coordinate visitor travel and reimbursements; assist with visitors’ urgent needs within reason, such as pharmacy, doctor, therapist, or hospital visits.
- Additional Education program support: as needed and assigned by supervisor.
- Support SFI-wide activities: as needed and assigned by the supervisor.
Please submit, by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, a single PDF file comprising 1) a cover letter briefly describing your interest and qualifications for the position and 2) your professional resume. Please use the “Education Program Assistant” as the subject line of the e-mail.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Priority consideration will be given to applications submitted prior to January 25, 2020.
The Santa Fe Institute is committed to inclusive excellence and welcomes and celebrates diversity in all its forms. We welcome applications from members of groups who have been underrepresented or marginalized in science, technology, and higher education.